- Post-consumer scraps can be found in huge
quantities all over the world.
- Sorted, steady quality and quantity supplies are
- Before looking around for the best possible system,
be sure you have a reliable source of material and check
it carefully to know exactly which kind of contamination(s)
you should expect.
- If you know it, you will spend a lot less money
for a well operating system.
- If not you, and the machinery supplier, will be
- Post-consumer scraps are plastics coming
from kerbside, from street and sometimes
from landfill, collection.
- This means what follows:
doesn't matter or automatic is compulsory
because you'll get everything together
with the scraps you are supposed to
- For some materials it is "only"
important while for some other it is
- Post-consumer plastics should go
all the way through the entire process
of separation by means of sink-float
tanks and sometimes hydrocyclones,
(for more information
go to machinery
- After all this, you may not have
what you're expecting if your target
is 100% purity.
- In plastic recycling, like any other
business, quality pays, but it should
be a balance between costs and results.
- One example for all is aluminum
into PET bottles scraps; if you're getting
old bottles with lots of aluminum caps
and rings, you should provide for an
electrostatic separator and a final
metal detector to remove it, no question.
- But if you have an aluminum ring
once in a while are you sure you want
to buy a 70,000$ automatic electrostatic
separator ? (that doesn't remove 100%
of aluminum anyway).
- The same concept applies to machinery:
we can put everlasting platinum paddles
on centrifuges and you'll never replace
them but are you prepared to spend half
a million for this ?
- Back to post-consumer scraps, specially
before starting, be sure of what you'll
get as raw material.
- If you know the contamination, doesn't
matter which, it will be easy to remove
but if you will have everything, be
prepared to get a low quality material
at the end or, your choice, to spend
a lot of money for a damn complicated
- And good luck.