- Everybody is looking for the very best quality.
- To get to it, this system must be equipped with some
sophisticated devices and, consequently, the line becomes
- Plastic bottle recycling is today a very good business
from money point of view, but you better do it right,
just because PET is a so called "technical material"
and therefore difficult to deal with.
- We'll never be tired to say anything can be done
but it should be a strict relation between cost and
- To speak up clearly, do not ask for a "bottle
to bottle" grade material if final product is for
- It will just cost too much.
- Plastic bottle recycling is from a point of view
pretty simple because, most of the times, you know the
scrap you're dealing with.
- On the other side the level of contamination of
the end product is normally measured in PPM and this
doesn't make things easy.
- To explain all the aspects
of the matter we need 2,568,985 pages
and a lifetime to write them all so
this is a short resume of the complete
- Before you go in details and ask
for an offer, you should know two
things very well:
- First is you should state the
quality level of the flakes you
need to have at the end.
- Second, only by order, is the fact
you should be prepared to spend lots
- And this is what it means:
- For example a flake, very good for
fibres application, can contain 20 PPM
of glue and, if this is the quantity,
your customer will be very happy.
- The same material with 10 PPM of
glue will also be good, after pelletizing
and SSP, for bottles application.
- So, the difference is 10 PPM equal
to 0,001% - Got
the point ?
- Actually this is not the only difference
because, again, the matter is a little
bit more complicated, but gives you
an idea of what we're talking about.
- At the end, the big difference stays
also in the cost to get one quality
- If you ask for a bottle to bottle
quality washing line, the number you'll
read in the last page will never have
less than six zeros, and you're lucky
if first number is a 1, while for a
lower quality the number can be shorter,
not to mention the difference in operating
- This "small" difference
will also effects the composition of
the line in other sections.
that is the very first part of the line,
needs to be perfect, meaning no PVC,
PS, PA or other plastics cannot reach
because after this point these plastics
cannot be recognized and removed. (yes,
it can but is way too expensive)
- Then, flakes go to air-separators
to remove detached labels and some of
the dirt, pre-washing,
separation by sink-float
tanks, the washing process,
is another very important step of the
process and final drying.
- When you got all this, you're half
of the way to complete the set up.
- In fact you got flakes clean to
the bone with caustic soda solution,
detergents and all these good stuff,
that's actually pretty easy to feed
to the line and, as a consequence, you
need to get rid of it.
filtration is therefore as important
as the washing line itself.
- A good filtration system(s) is what
makes the line to perform well, and
contain costs, also because in this
case, we are talking about hot water
so energy costs are involved as well.
- Next step is to transform your flakes into very clear pellets upgrading the quality to the very best.
- To know more about this, go to SSP page where is writeen also how to avoid the conventional SSP and get the same or better quality without losing weight and get it FDA approved. (not a letter of no objection)
- For an extended description of the
line, and what it's involved in, please
keeping in mind your line can be very
different according with the kind of
scraps you'll be starting with and the
final application of the final product.